Tuesday, March 08, 2005

The time of my life

Well friends, I just got back from the most perfect get away I have ever been on. I went on a road trip to Napa California, with Smurf, BamaBeau and Nestor. Every trip has its up and downs, right? Well, not this trip it was all up for me. Perfect.

Yes, I did fall about 3-4 times, yes we got pulled over for having only one head light on, yes, it did rain in Napa (and it was wonderful), and yes we did have to pull over along side the road because of car problems (Nestor accidentally put the car in neutral and was wondering why the car was acting weird). But to be perfectly honest, I would have been sad if none of these things happened. All of these mishaps made the trip even more interesting and great.

If you want a play-by-play I left that up to Smurf, because he is a whole lot better with his words than I am. So, be sure to read his blog.


I am from New Mexico, born and raised. Beautiful New Mexico, lots of bluffs and a whole lot of browns and some sage green, with beautiful skies. Now, I live in Utah, still some brown, but more green and huge mountains. The ways the clouds rest on the mountains are mystifying, and captivating. Having only been to Colorado, Utah, and Arizona, I was astounded at how beautiful Napa was.
I can honestly say that I have never seen such lush, deep, vibrant colors of green in one place in all of my life. Sure I have been to Los Angles when I was younger, but at that age I was just interested in the big buildings and Disneyland, probably didn’t even pay attention to the nature then.

Thursday we went for a hike on some of the hills there in Napa, the assortment of trees, the lush grass, the sweet-smelling air and over looking the vineyards, seeing the mustard plant for the fist time was just perfect. I was speechless, words could not come to mind the only thing I could mange to say were; wow, beautiful, amazing, and cool, which were all small words for what I really thought and felt.
As we went throughout our site seeing, driving, and exploring I was never tried of riding in the car with the windows rolled down and the wind blowing through my hair and just observing nature. The weather was just right. The overcast days, and the warm sunny days, all of it was great.
Spending time with my friends joking around, talking and just getting along so well, was my favorite, thing. No matter what we were doing we were having fun, I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way.

Finally Sunday came and we were going to the beach. Excited, because I had only been to the beach once or twice my whole life, I was too little remember it very much and what it was like, I had anticipated for the moment of seeing the sunset on the ocean. We arrived at a viewpoint just in time to see the sun setting, hearing the waves crashing and the smell of the ocean was overwhelming. I felt at peace and as I sat there watching the flawless painting God had painted, my gratitude for nature was starting to overflow inside of me. How is it that people say there is no God when he put signs of himself in nature? Observing and being aware of nature one can feel His presence, His love he has for us.
After taking the sacrament on the beach (that was interesting, refer to Smurf’s blog), and absorbing my surroundings, I was appreciative that I was able to go on this vacation; and wondered why in the world did I ever considered not going. Later that night I couldn’t fall asleep so Nestor and I sat on a cliff watching the ocean below us just talking about life and the gospel. I am glad I got to know her better. I am happy I got to know BamaBeau and Smurf more. I can not put into words how thankful I am for my friends; they are the greatest (if you think I am just saying that because I am their friends, you really have got to meet them for yourself). I hope I am as good of friend to them as they are for me.
I needed this vacation, and I am kind of sad I have to go back to reality and be responsible and all that jazz. Yuck!

So, yeah, that’s my version of California for you. I realize this post might have sounded cheesy or boring, if only I was a more talented writer. Someday, I want to move up to Napa; but that won’t be for a few more years, if everything goes to plan.

3 comments:

Jokey Smurf said...

Just so everybody knows, I'm working on the big post. But it might take some time. I'm trying to get all the pictures in and everything so that everyone can become as jealous as possible.

eleka nahmen said...

Everybody should be jealous. I'm in love with California. Wiggle, I've heard such stories about you ;)

Braden said...

I quite like your descriptions in here, in fact. Nice work.