Monday, October 24, 2005

Sounds Familiar

I found this poem in a book I was shelving today at the library. When I read it I laughed because this is exactly something that would happen to me.

A Million Miles from Tallahassee

I was so sure

I knew the capital of Florida

I almost threw my elbow out of joint

waving my hand

in front of Mr. Miller’s face.

When he called on me

I jumped up and said,

“Tassalooma!”

I thought they’d never stop laughing.

Jerome practically

fell out of his seat.

Even Mr. Miller lost it.

Now everybody’s always aking me,

“How are things in Tassalooma?”

And Maria the comedian said,

“Let’s rent a room

in Tassalooma.”

And if I could go to Tassalooma-

which is nowhere

on anybody’s map-

I’d never

come

back!

-Alice Schertle

Well, even though this exact thing didn't happened to me, I've had similar experinces.

3 comments:

blueshorts said...

I love it. A brilliant poem. And it sounds so Wigglish. We should plan a trip to Tassalooma sometime soon. Perhaps over Christmas break?

el veneno said...

What a sweet little poem. I have to agree with blueshorts that it sounds very wigglish. Maybe the real geniuses are the ones who don't limit themselves to the standard "right: answers but instead create their own. I mean, in a perfect world, Tassalooma definitely would be the capital of Florida.

Jokey Smurf said...

I think Tassalooma is the capital of Oklahidaho, isn't it?