Saturday, April 15, 2006

These Apples are Delicious

The Classic “give your teacher an apple” was applied to me the other day. One of my kiddos gave me a red apple. I was so happy. What an appropriate gift to give a teacher. I say that only because it is in all the books, and movies.

Why is it appropriate to give a teacher an apple? Is it because there use to be a lot more apple trees back in the day? Or perhaps, an apple is in fact a smart fruit, and therefore it would make perfect sense to give a teacher such a gift. But, saying a fruit is smart would imply that it had a mind of its own, and that is just silly. Or is it? You know there are people who believe that apples are living things with feelings. And if a teacher believed that was true would she think that gift was wrong because the fruit was pick off its home and life source and now will eventually die? Or be delighted and keep the apple as a pet? I wonder if that is where the phrase “teacher’s pet” came from.

Maybe it is just because it has something to do with what teachers teach, “Apple starts with the letter A”. If that is the reason to give a teacher an apple I am okay with that. Can you imagine though if the teachers back then said “Avocado starts with the letter A” or “Alcohol”? What a funny thought! Picture a little kid bring the teacher a bottle of Jack Daniels to school. That is so wrong.

If children brought there teacher a nut that could have make the connection to the phrase “in a nutshell”. It’s like saying, “Thanks for filling our nuts with knowledge.” (Nut meaning head of course, you sicko!) Umm… yeah… I am stopping there.

The point of this post is that I received an apple the other day and I am grateful for that. Even though I don’t quit understand the whole “give your teacher an apple” thing. It was a nice gesture and I felt loved. The End

5 comments:

Gregory said...

"An apple a day keeps the doctor away." It´s obvious they want you to be healthy, so they don´t get a sub. That´s just how much they like you.

Vandersun said...

"I'm a fruitarian. We believe that fruits and vegetables have feelings, so killing and cooking them is cruel. We only eat things that have fallen off the tree or bush, and already are, in fact, dead."

"So... these carrots?"

"Have been murdered. Yes."

"Oh, that's just terrible... beastly."

Wiggle said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
blueshorts said...

Oh, you make me laugh, wonderful Wiggle.

Jokey Smurf said...

Actually, Vero, I think that's Notting Hill. Wiggle, you are HI-larious.