Sunday, December 19, 2004

A Bump in the Road


It was a dark and scary night. I was alone in my house. Suddenly, the phone rang. Wondering if I should answer it or not, the phone rang again. Feeling rushed I answered it before another thought came to mind. "Hello?" I said, and there was a pause, and then a mysterious voice on the other end said "Wiggle?” Panic-stricken, I replied, "yes.", and then remembering my manners, I pretended I knew the person, and in a friendly voice I said, "How are you?" and the voice said, "Good. (Cough) What are you doing?” It was after the cough I realized that the voice on the other end wasn't so mysterious after all. It was just my friend Smurfs. Relieved and glad that it wasn't some stalker, I continued the conversation with him. Upon which we decided to go and rent a movie with a few friends. So, about 10, no, 15 of us crammed into my car, grateful that I was the driver and I didn't have to share my seat with anyone. We drove off to the Hollywood Video just down the street. We were on the road right beside the video store and we realized we didn't bring our I.D. to rent the all-time classic, “Rudy”. So, I thought quickly for a solution to our problem (it was a Saturday and someone might get to the movie before us) I told my friends, "hey, I know, I will slow down enough so that you can push Smurf out and Smurf, you go and get the movie and stand in line and we will go to my house and get my I.D.." Eagerly, Smurf said “Great idea Wiggle!". I then said "Alright, this is the slowest I am slowing down, Go Smurf!" As a group effort everyone in the back seat pushed him out of the car. As soon and he was out, I stepped on the gas, because, there was a car right behind me. Feeling a bump under my tires, I thought it was some sort of pothole or rock or stick, and didn't think anything of it. I WAS on a mission. I had to stay focused. Anyway, as quickly as I could I drove home and got my I.D. and rushed back to the video store. And when all of us climbed out of the car, and ran into the store and there was Smurf in the front of the line, holding the DVD of Rudy, with a limp, a black eye, and a missing tooth. Concerned and worried we ran to him and asked him what happened. Mad at who ever did this to my friend, I asked Smurf, "who did this to you? I am going to beat them up!" And in a very small, but sturdy voice, he said "you did Wiggle." Everyone was shocked and appalled, and in amazement, we said (in unison), "And you still got the movie?" With a grin on his face he nodded. We all praised him and gave him high fives, and pats on the back and told him how cool he was. Then we were interrupted by a shrewd and annoyed voice coming from behind the counter, "next!” It was our turn. So, we handed the movie to the sales clerk, and then she said, "That will be $3.45." And we turned to Smurf and said, "Do you still have the money we gave you?” He frantically checked his pockets and then in a guilty voice said, "I left it on the kitchen counter."

No comments: