Thursday, December 30, 2004

The Night I Robbed the Bank

Hello, my friends. I call you my friends because I only share this story with people I trust. Listen carefully, because I am only going to tell this story once. If you ask me in person to relive this dreadful event, I will walk away and never return. For the tale I am about to share with you is true and I am ashamed to be such a huge part of this horrible incident that took place in my life. Brace your self.

This story goes back to the evening of June 15, 1992. I was ten, naive and innocent. Until I let temptations get the best of me.

My family was in charge of cleaning a bank for the week because the janitor, who was a long time friend of the families, went out of town. As a family we would clean this bank by dividing up the chores between us, I was in charge of emptying the trash cans and vacuuming the book keeping room. Little did I know that this simple task held the key to unleash the not so naive and innocent girl that existed inside of me.

It was a Friday night, and I was very proud of myself because I was getting to be quit fast with my cleaning. The faster I got done the more time I would have to explore this dark and mysterious bank. Within twenty minutes I had finish all of my cleaning. I started my way up the stairs to begin my adventure.

Now, that I look back, my ten year-old imagination, could have gotten the better of me, but I could have sworn that I saw a mysterious flickering light coming from the office just adjacent from the stairwell. My heart thumping loud, I very slowly crept up to the door and opened it. To my disappointment it was just a screen saver, someone had left their computer on. Staring at the screen saver with of a hamster on a running wheel, I was interpreted by the grumbling that my stomach was making. All that cleaning and exploring was making me hungry.

I was about to leave the office when something caught my eye. I turn my head and saw the most wonderful thing I have ever seen. And quite honestly who ever invented the "Honor Box" props to you. To those of you don't know what an honor box is, let me explain. Many business with offices use have them, it's a box with all sorts of snack food ranging from chips, to candy bars and from juice boxes to gum. You pick a snack, and drop $.75 in to the slot at the top of the box.

Anyway, amazed at how much good stuff there was to eat and my stomach growling even louder, I search me pockets for some change. It had to be exact because there was no way to get change back (it was a cardboard box). Finding only a dime, a nickel, and 3 pennies, I was saddened. That wasn't enough for what I craved most, a Snickers bar. I thought about asking my mom for some money, but knowing my mom she would probably tell me she didn't have any change or tell me I didn't need it before dinner.

Glancing at the clock, I knew mom and dad would be still cleaning for at least a 45 more minutes. I couldn't wait, I could feel my stomach starting to feast upon itself (oh, the pain), I was starting to feel light headed. I was forced to choose life or death. I loved my family and they would have been broken hearted if they found their oldest daughter starved to death in this little office (where she really had no business being in to begin with). I knew I could rejuvenate my energy with a delicious Snickers bar and my parents would be so happy that their daughter is healthy and well. Realizing that I had my family’s best interest at heart I grab the Snickers bar and dropped what little money I had. There I sat watching the hamster running on the wheel while I enjoyed my snickers bar.

As I sat there I could feel the energy rush back through my body. Realizing that I might not have chosen the best solution at that time, I would like to point out that I, Tawña, am still alive.

And that, my friends is the tale I have to tell about the night I robbed the bank.

3 comments:

Novel Concept said...

Wiggle, I love you. You are amazing.

As a side note, once my sister ate a cherry in the super market, following the example of all the other shoppers around her, and my mom made her tell the management, and sweep the front of the store to pay for it. She, however, is also alive today.

Christie C said...

I probably stole something at some point in my early childhood years... I have vague memories of Mom bringing me back inside Food 4 Less... but maybe it was my sister who stole something, and I had to go back in with them. I know she stole something once. She still talks about the awful guilt she feels.

azurerocket said...

Wiggle, you are a great storyteller. This totally made my day.