Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Book Drop

Yesterday started out with beautiful summer weather. The sun was out, the birds were chirping, and I am sure if you listened close enough you could here the earth humming the happiest tune. That is what the weather was like when I went into work.

Work was fine no problems whatsoever. I worked double shift there at the library, and didn’t even care. I am sure if you listened close enough you could hear me humming the happiest tune. Life was great. Then, something in the air begun to change and it wasn’t good.

Everyday at 4 o’clock we have to check the book drop here at the library. It’s not bad, it’s just a thing. But about 3 o’clock it started to thunder and lightning, and the wind began to blow. I was shelving books and kept looking out the window, in dread. “Please don’t let it rain until after book drop” I would pray. I didn’t being a jacket or anything because, well, I already told you what the weather was like earlier. I continue to shelve my cart of books, the lights in the library flickered (really, they did). Kind of hoping the power would go out completely so I could go home early was entertaining my thoughts. I turn around to get some more books from my cart and to my surprised there is a person standing right behind me. I gasped in horror. “Are you ready to do book drop?” the mysterious voice asked. I turned around and it was just my co-worker, kind of relived and at the same time disappointed (because if it was someone scarier it would have made a better story). I look at my watch and realized it was 4. I nodded. “Let’s do this book drop before it starts to rain.” Lisa, my co-worker, pointed towards the window “I already to see raindrops on the window.” As I looked I felt the whole earth crashing down on me. It had just barely started to rain and it was still slow. “Well, then, lets hurry before it starts to pour.” The wind blew harder as if it were replying to what I had said.

We got the empty book drops so we could switch them with the full ones outside. I asked Lisa, “Do you think we will need the tarps?” (That is what we put on the books to keep them dry while we are outside) She opens the door to check, and it is already raining harder than what it was two minutes ago. “I think we will need them,” she says. I sigh audibly, “Alright, well lets get this done fast before it gets worse.”

So we both took a deep breath and went out into the elements and up to the book drop. As soon as we go to the book drop, totally disposed, no shelter near by, a cloud burst and rain started to beat down on our bodies. Trying to frantically to switch the empty book cart with the full one, I noticed Lisa was having and difficult time with hers. The book cart was overloaded and books were spilling out. So, while I was helping her pick up the books A guest of wind picked up, with the rain and wind combined it felt like bits of glass was beating against our face. The wind picked up one of the tarps and blew it into the middle of the street. I was laughing so hard because my only other option would be to cry and I didn’t have time for that. I started to chase the tarp and finally caught up to it. While I was running back to help Lisa the full book cart fell and the books spilled out on to the ground. And if you didn’t think it could rain harder, well, let me tell you something, it did. It was like someone was playing a cruel joke on us and just laughing his brains out just watching us running around frantically picking up the books that were lying in the middle of the parking lot and chasing the tarps because they were flying everywhere.

Finally, we picked up the books and ran to take shelter. We got inside was greeted with hysterical laughter, as we stood there at the door catching our breath looking like we've been to hell and back. Co-workers were pointing there fingers laughing at our expense. It was humiliating and I was cold. Soaking up what little pride I had I dragged the cart to the counter and start to unload it. Finally a girl replied through her tears of laughter “If only I had known you were going out, we have extra jackets.” Lisa and I exchanged looks, and both knowing that bit of information would have been nice to know. We spent the rest of the hour drying the books that got wet and discarding the ones that were ruined. Finishing my shelving in my soaked clothes, as children and parents looked at me as if I were some part of a freak show. I soldiered on.

Yes, it is important for me to note that the rain pretty much stopped as soon as we got inside. I am fairly convinced someone up there is out to get me. Story of my life, what else can I say.

1 comment:

Gregory said...

That's friggin hilarious man, and I can so totally see you doing that.